The South African Professional Institute for Kinderkinetics (SAPIK) is a non-profit professional organization representing the interests of Kinderkinetics across South Africa.
SAPIK is therefore the professional home of Kinderkineticists in South Africa where the professional behaviour of Kinderkineticists are regulated by registration.
SAPIK is dedicated to the advancement of the Kinderkinetics profession and the improvement of services to the consumer and take pride in representing the profession. This Professional body was established in 2002 with the support of various academic training institutions and qualified members of this profession in order to set up a quality control mechanism to guide the profession but also to protect the public.
Education and Training
Kinderkinetics in South Africa is offered at various educational institutions in the country.
The three Universities presenting the qualification in Kinderkinetics are as follow:
At the North-West University there are currently two ways in which an individual can qualify as a Kinderkineticist, both are given below. The first being the 3+1 model and the second a 4-year professional degree in Biokinetics with specialisation in Kinderkinetics.
Bachelor of Health Sciences Honours in Human Movement Sciences WITH Kinderkinetics
Bachelor of Health Sciences
- The results achieved in four designated subjects plus two NSC subjects will be taken into consideration.
- The results achieved in Life orientation will not be taken into account;
- Language requirement: A pass mark of 50-59%(level 4) in the language of teaching and learning concerning home language or first additional language level;
A student must hold a full Matriculation exemption certificate and an average pass mark of 60%
The Stellenbosch University follows the 3+1 model.
BA (Sport Science) or BSc (Sport Science) degree
BScHons (Sport Science, Specialisation: Performance Sport or Specialisation: Kinder Kinetics)
Credit value: 20
Bachelor of Arts in Sport Science (BA (Sport Science))
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) or school-leaving certificate of the Independent Examination Board (IEB) as certified by Umalusi with a mark of at least 4 in each of four recognised school subjects with a credit value of 20;
- An average percentage for the NSC or the IEB school-leaving certificate (excluding Life Orientation) of 60%
- Home Language (Afrikaans or English) code 4 (50%);
- First Additional Language code 3
University of the Free State
The University of the Free State provides a 4-year professional degree.
- Language of Instruction = Achievement level 5 (60%);
- Mathematics = Achievement level 4 (50%);
- Physical Sciences = Achievement level 4 (50%) AND/OR Life Sciences = Achievement level 4 (50%).
Please note that the above mentioned information has been taken from each University site and is subject to change.
For more information on a specific University’s programme please visit their website or
contact their programme leader.
- North West University Potchefstroom
Programme leader: Prof. Dané Coetzee
firstname.lastname@example.org or 018 299 1792
- University of the Free State, Bloemfontein Campus
Programme leader: Dr. Monique de Milander
email@example.com or 051 401 9342
- Stellenbosch University
Programme leader: Dr. Eileen Africa
firstname.lastname@example.org or 021 808 4591
- Centurion Academy